Certified B Corporations® (B Corps™) are for-profit companies that use the power of business to build a more inclusive and sustainable economy. To spread the message & celebrate in our own way, we figured we would answer some commonly asked questions about what it means to be a B Corp and why Scott’s Roofing felt it was important to join this effort of building better business through balancing profit and purpose.
What is a B Corp?
They meet the highest verified standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. As of 2018, there are more than 2500 B Corps in 130 industries and 60 countries around the world.
The B Corp Declaration of Interdependence
We envision a global economy that uses business as a force for good.
This economy is comprised of a new type of corporation – the B Corporation – which is purpose-driven and creates benefit for all stakeholders, not just shareholders.
As B Corporations and leaders of this emerging economy, we believe:
- That we must be the change we seek in the world.
- That all business ought to be conducted as if people and place mattered.
- That, through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm, and benefit all.
- To do so requires that we act with the understanding that we are dependent upon one another and thus responsible for each other and future generations.
Why becoming a Certified B Corporation® was important to us
When we learned of the B Corp community, we were immediately drawn to it. We, ourselves, have 6 core values that drive us-
- We provide high-quality workmanship
- We respond with urgency
- We are environmentally responsible
- We provide honest assessments & estimates
- We work with integrity
- We are team players
Our core values align directly with the values of our fellow B Corp members and we believed that joining the community would give us a better chance of affecting real change in the communities we live in. For our families, for our employees, for our clients, for our friends, for our suppliers, for our future. That’s why Scott’s Roofing chose to embark on what was indeed a rigorous journey to become a Certified B Corporation.